Yaris Cross high-pitched whining sound at around 50 kmph

Faults and Technical chat for the Toyota Yaris Cross
risafov

Post by risafov »

Hi all,

I have noticed a couple of times that my Yaris Cross petrol (not hybrid) is making an odd sound when driving around 50-55 kph. It's more noticeable in corners, especially right corners. It's one year old with 11k km.

Went to the dealership for a check, and they can't find anything wrong.

Any ideas?!

Check the video:

Puggy67

Post by Puggy67 »

If your car was older with a higher milage i would have said Wheel Bearing on that side.
Have you checked the wheel nuts are all tight and there is nothing rubbing the tyres when front wheels turn?
risafov

Post by risafov »

Puggy67 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:32 pm If your car was older with a higher milage i would have said Wheel Bearing on that side.
Have you checked the wheel nuts are all tight and there is nothing rubbing the tyres when front wheels turn?
I checked, nothing is touching the tyres/wheels.

The funny thing is, this happened again this weekend but it was constant for 20 km, at different speeds from 50 to 90 kph. Applying the brakes, putting the car in neutral, or changing the motor RPM had no effect on the sound. Once I stopped at the toll booth, the sound was gone for the rest of the trip, around 40 km.

Super odd?!

I have a scheduled yearly service in a week's time at the dealership; I will ask them to check it again.
Brass Monkey

Post by Brass Monkey »

Sounds like the brakes need some anti squeal grease on the back of the pads.