Where is your Yaris Cross manufactured

All Toyota Yaris Cross related discussions
Uti

Post by Uti »

What are the first letters of the vincode of your new Yaris Cross? J or V or...? Is she made in France or in Japan?

Brass Monkey

Post by Brass Monkey »

Mine is made in Japan 😀
PJR77

Post by PJR77 »

My vincode starts with J. It was built in France.
Brass Monkey

Post by Brass Monkey »

Unsure how your car has a J but was manufactured in France?
First letter indicates the country it was built in.
Eleventh letter tells you which plant it was made in.

What plant code has your vehicle?
PJR77

Post by PJR77 »

My eleventh letter is A. I said it was manufactured in France because I was following it on the Toyota app including its journey to the UK.
If my plant code is A to which plant does that refer please?
Brass Monkey

Post by Brass Monkey »

Well this vin decoding is quite complex.
As we know the J means Japan and V is France.
If the car has a J and then the 11th is A that means A is Motomachi plant in Japan.
If the car has a V and then the 11th is A that means A is Onnaing-Valenciennes plant in France.

Now there is a spanner in the works cause I have been advised that it is possible for the chassis to be made in Japan (J) and to be assembled in France (11th A).
I fail to see how a vin can carry the country code for one country and the plant code for another country.

The search for confirmation continues as Toyota uk said it “thinks” it could be possible to ship the chassis to France hence 2 countries on one vin. This was just the help desk people not someone with official knowledge.
So even if the chassis were produced in Japan and shipped to France why put the “J” on instead of the “V” ?

Mine is a very first Premiere Edition.

Would like to know how many have the “V” vin?
PJR77

Post by PJR77 »

My Cross was one of the early UK ones and it may be that the chassis was built in Japan and 'finished off' in France as part of the working up of the French plant. All I can say is I am not terribly concerned about where it was built only that it carries on working perfectly, which so far (25,000 miles) it has.
Uti

Post by Uti »

All Yaris Crosses which my Toyota dealer in Finland has ever sold, have been JTD... vin code, since 2021. Myt says that they are coming from France. But still I believe that they are coming from Japan? I think that Toyota is trying to hide the possibility from the buyers to choose between two manufacturing countries! Atleast in Finland most buyers would like to prefer japanese over the French regardless of whether it is beneficial or not. The first Datsun cars come in 1962 to Finland from Japan. My father had one of these!
Brass Monkey

Post by Brass Monkey »

UTI I totally agree with what you have said.
I too would prefer a vehicle made in Japan rather than France.
jpmalopes

Post by jpmalopes »

"European" Yaris Cross and regular Yaris are both made in Onnaing, France. Vehicles made in Japan are mostly for domestic market only. French factory cars are shipped overseas through the Zeebrugge port near Bruges, Belgium. Onnaing factory complies obviously with Toyota's highest standards and is amongst the most advanced car assembly factories in Europe. There's a Yaris Cross based on the Daihatsu platform for Asian and South American markets, which indeed does not meet the "European/Japan" version general quality.