Steering Assist

Faults and Technical chat for the Toyota Yaris Cross
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

I'm mostly very pleased with my new Yaris Cross - apart from one thing. I find I'm getting increasingly irritated by the Steering Assist function. I find it's constant attempts to nudge the steering wheel in the direction it thinks it should go to be disconcerting and distracting.
I've searched through the owner's manual. I've Googled the issue. As far as I can make out, it used to be possible to disable this but that facility was removed last year and there's no way to turn it off in 2023 cars.
Is this right? Does anyone know of a way to disable it?

PJR77

Post by PJR77 »

On my Cross there is a button on the steering wheel to switch it off. I do this as I start off as I do find it it irritating and possibly dangerous. I was passing a cyclist the other day and the car tried to nudge me back into the cyclist. Yes I could have indicated but apart from the cyclist there was noone else visible at the time.
I hope that Toyota have not removed the button on the latest revision as this might prevent me from buying another.
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Yes I know the button you mean. That just seems to switch off Lane Tracing Assist. When you press it the dashboard displays -
Steering Assist
Lane Tracing Assist
- and pressing the button again turns off Lane Tracing Assist.
I read somewhere that pressing that button for 5 seconds would turn off Steering Assist but that doesn't work.
You're right, indicating stops the pressure on the steering wheel - but there are so many times when indicating just isn't necessary.
Tomble

Post by Tomble »

Yes , I dislike it too. I find it annoying and, sometimes, a bit dangerous. On mine, built late 2022, I just press the button and , after a few seconds, watch the icon disappear. For the rest of the journey the warning beeps and the nudging stop.
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Hmm. Looks like I bought mine a bit too late then (March 2023) because the manual doesn't mention it so I'm guessing they removed the ability to turn it off between late 2022 and early 2023.
If I haven't got used to it by the first service, I'll ask the dealer then.
tiptoe

Post by tiptoe »

Bought a pre registered Icon model late April (registered 1st March 23). No problems turning it off by holding down the button on the steering wheel for 5 seconds. It, by the Vin. number, was built and shipped from Japan, so presume it was built late 2022.
jpmalopes

Post by jpmalopes »

Press and hold the LTA button on the driving wheel for more than 2 seconds. LTA deactivates. It will activate again when the car is switch off an on again.
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Thanks, but I have no trouble turning off LTA. It's Steering Assist I can't turn off.